If you fancy baking your own cake to pop your topper onto then here are some tried & tested cake recipes I like to use:-
SPONGE CAKE (8″ Round Tin)
- salted butter 10oz (275g)
- caster sugar 10oz (275g)
- Large eggs 5
- self-raising flour 10oz (275g)
- cocoa powder for choc version 20z (50g)
- Bake for approx 1 hr
- Preheat over to Gas 4/180 oC/350 oF. Grease & line tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat softened butter & caster sugar together until light & fluffy.
- Lightly mix the eggs together & gradually beat into the mixture. If starts to slightly curdle add some flour with the eggs.
- If making a chocolate sponge, mix the cocoa powder with a little water to form a paste and add to the mixture.
- Add the sifted flour and gently mix.
- Place into tin, level top and bake in centre of oven.
- Test cooked with skewer, should come out clean. Leave to cool in tin, then turn onto wired rack or just greaseproof paper.
When completely cold cut into three equal layers and fill with buttercream filling, or other flavoured filling of your choice. Coat outside with buttercream and cover with sugarpaste.
CUPCAKES (Ingredients for 12 Cupcakes)
- Butter (I prefer salted) 6 oz (175g)
- Caster Sugar 6 oz (175g)
- Self Raising Flour 6 oz (175g)
- 3 Large Eggs
- Baking Times approx 20-25 mins
- Preheat oven to Gas 4/175 oC
- Soften butter and add caster sugar.
- Beat together until light & fluffy.
- Gradually add eggs, one at a time, and beat together
- Add sifted flour and gently mix in.
- Pipe or spoon mixture into cupcake cases in cupcake tin.
When cool decorate with either Buttercream swirls, Royal Icing or Sugar paste.
MADEIRA CAKE (8″ Round Tin)
- Salted Butter 8 0z (225g)
- Caster Sugar 8 oz (225g)
- Eggs (large) 5
- Self-Raising Flour 8 oz (225g)
- Plain Flour 4 oz (225g)
- Lemon Juice 1 1/2 tbsp
- Bake for approx 1 1/4 hrs
- Preheat oven Gas 3/160 oC. Grease & double line tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cream butter & sugar together until light & fluffy and pale in colour. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, following each one with a spoonful of the sifted mixed flours.
- Fold in remainder of sifted flour, followed by the lemon juice.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin, level the surface and bake in the oven for the time given or until well risen, firm to the touch & golden brown. Surface cracks will appear on the top. Test with skewer to ensure cooked.
Fill with buttercream & jam, and cover with sugar paste. This is a firm sponge & good for decorating.
Alternatively for Thermomix users there are some great recipes from the cooking platforms or books. My favourite is the Carrot Cake! Don’t forget to check out the Thermomix Baking Blogger where Sophia has some great products to use with your machine.